Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lost PAN Card

Exactly 1 and a half years ago, I had lost my PAN card, along with my wallet in the Elco market in Juhu, Mumbai. I was devastated. In 5 days I was boarding my flight to NY so I knew it would take another trip back to India to get another copy of my PAN card. My credit cards - I was not so worried. Just a few phone calls and they were disabled, but it was my PAN card that I was most worried about. Primarily because the Indian Govt. is not so good on the technological front. Long queues and babugiri is rampant.

For all these while I did not care to get a copy of my PAN card. I didn't need it and I had a laminated xerox copy of it. But now after all these days, I felt the need for it (Read: Investing in India). I has a bad feeling about the whole process knowing that it would take months for the whole process. 2 hours of googling and here I am with the answer. It as easy as filling up the online form , attaching a few documents and submitting it. And voila, your application is submitted. No queues. No paan stains :). In fact to top it , they even provide you with a tracking number so you can track the progress of your application - which is pretty cool. And sweet lord, the card is mailed to you in 3-4 weeks.

Computers. Where would human race be without it!!

PS: Those who want to know the details on getting a new/lost PAN card, this is the link http://www.tin-nsdl.com/PANIntroduction.asp

No comments: