Friday, January 23, 2009

Indian Politics - when will a new era come?

Indian politics has always disappointed me. But every time I start to criticize politicians, I ask myself, what have you done? I am 28 years old and have never voted. So i don't even have the right to criticize anyone. But every once in a while I read of some news that I fail to understand.

Today is one of those days. I read this news :I will pattern my political career on Obama: Sanjay Dutt. After reading this news, I couldn't help but laugh - at Sanjay Dutt and other Indian politicians. How can you claim something like this? Obama was a community organizer ever since he started his career. What have you done? (And only being UN's ambassador on malnutrition doesn't count). What tangible changes have you done?

I think this is enough. We as voters need to ask our representatives what issues are most important to them and what actions/ plans will they be undertaking to fulfill them. And "Taking BSP to new levels" (Agenda of Mayawati's party) is not a valid aspiration for a party. You need to tell us the exact issues.

Also, we the middle class and the upper middle class needs to perform our duties. We need to vote, we need to be the face for the questions that underprivileged people have. We have to start something great. We need to make sure that being a celebrity is not the only criteria to get into politics. We need to get more people like Gurucharan Das to get into governance. They may fail, ( like Manmohan Singh's puppet prime ministership) but its alteast a start.

1 comment:

All Talk and No Action said...

Hope you have registered for voting this time around? :)

I absolutely agree about Sanjay Dutt...

Also about BSP...what's surprising is that a few days back parties weren't willing to announce their PM candidate! This was going to be an election based only on alliances - not on ideals, manifestos and performances...what a joke !

Gurcharan would definitely be a nice candidate for a PM...but I guess he has a leaning towards the Congress...and this is one party I absolutely Don't support !


Btw nice blog you have here...